[artinfo] Bucharest Biennale, May-June 2006

artphoto [contemporary art magazine] artphoto at pcnet.ro
Tue Nov 22 10:20:35 CET 2005

BUCHAREST BIENNALE
International Biennale for Contemporary in Bucharest

BUCHAREST, 25th November 2005 - Bucharest Biennale will take place
during 25th May - 27th June 2006.

The appointed curator for the 2006 edition will be Zsolt Petranyi,
director of Kunsthalle Budapest. The theme Zsolt Petranyi proposed
for the 2006 edition is "Chaos: Flat Images in The Age Of Confusion".

"The «confusion» as part of our lives became a metaphor. It
symbolizes the calmness of the resignation of «as it is», when what
we know and register is nothing but a small sign of our status quo,
when we are just what we see. The preliminary selection of the
artists wanted to express the overall of the metaphor of «chaos», by
opening widely the geographical directions the works are collected
from. I must say, the final list is still under consideration",
stated Zsolt Petrányi.

"The Bucharest Biennale will become, in time, as important as the
ones from Istanbul or Moscow are. The city of Bucharest deserves to
be taken into consideration on the map of international contemporary
art, and this show is the one to begin with. The time to break
through the isolation of Romania's capital has finally come, and,
moreover it feels the urge to convert the isolation into a challenge
for the art world. We are interested in the connection between the
creative practice and the social developing, between the local,
European and universal contexts. In the same time, we are more than
delighted to have Zsolt Petranyi as a curator for the biennale, and I
really think his choosing was the best decision to take", declared
Eugen Radescu, the curator of the 2005 edition, and co-director of
Bucharest Biennale.

Bucharest Biennale aims to resolve the twofold problems of tradition
and modernity, past and present, localism and global village, strives
to attain a balanced status between its aesthetic/artistic quality
and popularity by overcoming the feeling of estrangement that the
general public has toward the contemporary arts.

Bucharest Biennale is a structure able to transform the Bucharest
itself into an ongoing workshop-cum-field of action, for it seeks a
way of breaking the cultural isolation -burdensome   heritage of the
years of communism, and building a strong partnership between
Bucharest - which is more than a city, it is a symbol of how
political can be reflected in every aspect of life - and Europe.

The Bucharest Biennale's goal is to encourage the artistic
creativity, to ease the public access to the culture, to disseminate
art, to incite to intercultural dialogue and to underline the
importance of the knowledge of European end extra-European
contemporary cultures.

The official web site of the Bucharest Biennale is
http://www.bucharestbiennale.org.

During the Bucharest Biennale, which will take place during the 26th
May - 27th June 2006, it will be also organized parallel shows.

The final program of the Bucharest Biennale and the parallel shows
will be ready and published in February 2006.

The contemporary art biennale are the most important shows of the
kind, and they include the main exposition, debates, conferences and
parallel shows (such as other expositions, sound performances, dance
performances etc).

The Cultural Association Artphoto, the organizer of
[artphoto]festival.bucharest, has taken the decision to transform the
contemporary arts festival into an International Contemporary Arts
Biennale in Bucharest.

It is to mention that Artphoto is a cultural NGO, editing the
contemporary art magazine, worldwide-distributed (www.artphoto.ro).

The success the [artphoto]festival.bucharest recorded determined the
need to extend the show and its visibility. The "Bucharest Biennale
of Contemporary Art" description has been registered as a trade mark,
and same its logo.

The executive team of Bucharest Biennale is:

Curator: Zsolt Petranyi
Co-Directors: Razvan Ion & Eugen Radescu
Project Director: Alexandra Hagiu-Manda
Assistant to the Curator: Claudia Martins
Romanian Assistant to the Curator: Sebastian Negulescu

For interviews with the curator, informations and details, you can
contact the press office: artphoto at pcnet.ro, or phone at +4 0722 449 002.