[artinfo] Call for Articles for Women in Action

Fatima Lasay digiteer at ispx.com.ph
Wed Mar 16 13:23:28 CET 2005

Dear friends,

Please find below the call for articles for the cultural diversity issue
of Women in Action (WIA) magazine which I am guest-editing. I'd like to
invite women on the list to submit articles for WIA especially those
that discuss practical approaches to the various issues and concerns
that we face in our work and advocacies in our own communities and in
relation to the international community.

Later, we will also be having an on-line discussion on selected topics
related to the cultural diversity debates - and I'd like to hear from
you all what topics of urgency and interest you'd like us to take up.
The on-line discussions will also be included in WIA - it's a very
special issue of the magazine which will also include an audio CD of
music by women from the Pacific. To learn more about Isis and WIA, just
follow the URL below. To participate in the discussion/forum, go to
http://asia.groups.yahoo.com/group/korakora/

Hope to hear from you soon!

Warm regards,
Fatima

PS. Plus addendum on the North-South divide, below.

================
Women in Action
Call for Articles for Women in Action (WIA) NO. 1-2005

Women in Action, a magazine published by Isis International-Manila,
covers a broad range of issues affecting women globally, but focuses on
the particular needs and concerns of women in the Global South. For its
next issue (1, 2005), Women in Action will feature the theme "Cultural
Diversity."

We welcome articles that discuss how women of the South address issues
pertaining to cultural diversity in relation to the various aspects of
ICT and media. We especially invite you to contribute articles that
bridge theoretical elaboration with practical implementation on the
following topics:

Culture in relation to Identity, Development and Democracy:
-    How has the concept of cultural pluralism evolved from post-war
reconstruction to the rise of newly independent states to satisfy the
processes of globalization?
-    What kinds of dialogues between state and societal mechanisms do
cultural policies reflect towards constructive pluralism?
-    Do cultural policies and implementations for the protection and
promotion of the diversity of cultural expressions reaffirm or deny the
rights and the full participation of women at all levels?

The accelerating interdependence between Culture and Economies:
-    Are cultural goods becoming consumer goods in the guise of
promoting cultural diversity?
-    Have the events of 11 September 2001 and the resulting conflicts
between cultural relativism and fundamentalism, secularism and religion
affected the production, dissemination and function of culturally
diverse goods and services?
-    Is the need for developing countries to participate in
globalization affecting our tangible and intangible heritage as a result

of the ambiguity/dialectic between cultural and economic value?
-    How can a balance be made between the rights of the owners of
cultural expressions and the rights of all people to access, enjoy, and
participate in culture?
-    Who are the owners of "cultural expressions" and to which "culture"

do they belong?

The growth of Multicultural Societies and how they redefine Cultural
Identity:
-    How are issues of marginalization, social exclusion, economic and
cultural rights being addressed within societies themselves and in
relation to others?
-    How do we balance cultural specificities and identities with more
universal obligations?
-    How do the debates and practices surrounding international relief
and aid affect cultural approaches to natural disasters, HIV/AIDS, and
armed conflict?
-    How do differing state conceptions on citizenship and sexual
diversity affect the rights of women, children and indigenous peoples?

We encourage you to submit photos, graphics or comic strips that may be
used for your article or for the issue in general. We provide a modest
honorarium for articles and photos or graphics that get published.
Photos or artwork should be in TIFF format, scanned at 300 dpi. Please
zip the file before e-mailing it. You may also se