[artinfo] Jan van Eyck Academie: Call for applications
asz at c3.hu
Thu Mar 3 21:26:55 CET 2005
Jan van Eyck Academie
Post-academic Institute for Research and Production
Fine Art, Design, Theory
Call for applications
Deadline: 15 April 2005
Our apologies for cross-listing.
The Jan van Eyck Academie is an institute for research and
production in the fields of Fine Art, Design and Theory, based in
Maastricht, in the south of the Netherlands. The academy invites
artists, designers and theoreticians to submit research or
production proposals. In order to realise these projects, the
academy offers the necessary made-to-measure artistic, technical
and auxiliary preconditions and develops contacts with external
Research, production, presentation, discussion
The Jan van Eyck Academie offers space and time to let go of
predetermined processes and to explore new inroads which may lead
to unexpected results: unconventional productions, such as
temporary projects in the public arena, fictional designs or
speculative thought experiments. This experimental attitude towards
research and production implies that the academy is not led by
predetermined leitmotivs. The subject matters of the various
research projects of its international artists, designers and
theoreticians are heterogeneous (see examples below).
These miscellaneous projects form the basis for several events
which are organized each week: presentations, discussions,
lectures, seminars, screenings, exhibitions,
parties are welcome to attend these activities. The result is a
dynamic and critical exchange between the different agents from
within and outside of the Jan van Eyck.
Artists, designers and theoreticians who submitted a project
proposal and were subsequently selected become researchers at the
Jan van Eyck. In order to realise their projects researchers have
their own studios, receive a grant and can make use of the
facilities: the library, the documentation centre, various
workshops (wood and other materials; graphic techniques;
photography; digital text and image processing and editing;
time-based media) and the production bureau (assistance with print
work, editing and all other productions). They can also appeal to
the institute for pr assistance relating to their projects or for
the distribution of their productions.
The researchers can furthermore call upon the support of artistic
advisors: the advising researchers. The following advising
researchers are active in the Jan van Eyck Academie: Orla Barry,
Norman Bryson, Sabeth Buchmann, Wim Cuyvers, Helmut Draxler,
Stephan Geene, Marc De Kesel, Jouke Kleerebezem, Aglaia Konrad, Eva
Meyer, John Murphy, Hinrich Sachs, Filiep Tacq, Daniël van der
Velden and Annelys de Vet.
Artists, designers and theoreticians who wish to apply for a one or
two year research period, starting in January 2006, can send in
their research proposal before 15 April 2005. See for application
More information on the Jan van Eyck Academie in general or about
research projects and productions is available at
For practical questions concerning the application procedure,
please contact: Leon Westenberg (leon.westenberg at janvaneyck.nl).
For content-related questions please contact: Kim Thehu
(kim.thehu at janvaneyck.nl)
Current research projects and productions (selection)
Research proposals can also be submitted within the framework of
the following projects.
– ‘Circle for Lacanian Ideology Critique’ – Research
platform that does not consider Lacanian theory as a dogmatic
closed system, but as an open set of tools helping to form a
critical look on current (post-)modern culture. More info:
www.janvaneyck – ‘Film and avant-garde notion of life on 20th researched along the lines of bio-political participate in the ‘paradigm of production of film, then, reproductive, even simulative, or rather More info: www.bbooks.de/jve/
– ‘On the Research on the television films on literature of Flemish film maker Jef Cornelis. paid to the special stylistic properties of his works, documentary value of his films, the exceptional production conditions and the problems of representation of art on television
in www.janvaneyck.nl/0_3_3_research_info/cornelis.html – ‘The tomorrow the book’ – The future of the multi-disciplinary standpoint: editing, publishing and distribution. More info: www.charlesnypels.nl
– ‘UbiScribe’ publication platform investigates age of personalization. Its aim is to build and body of publications. More info: www.ubiscribe.net Fine art
– Nikolaus of processes within cultural how is the diagrammatic view science and theory?
– Will Kwan (CA) assistance agencies, community institutions that structure the lives of Maastricht and tracking its connections to the global infrastructure of contemporary bio-politics.
– Stefanie Seibold possibilities of performance, allow for a narration of different – Inga Zimprich parallels between open-source collaborative practices.
– Min Choi writings, which design’ – the design – Tina Clausmeyer A network analysis of surveillance Stasi’s secret meeting places from 1980-89 – Vinca Kruk (NL) identity design by, among other identity for companies or organizations which no – Ingrid Stojnic for Chinese language. Research classifying data, visualizing words in their developing an adequate, intuitive and user-friendly interface. Theory
– Stéphanie contextualizing mass murders in culture, realms of memory, news official actions.
– Gideon Boie or the urban logic of ideological construct of the several concrete ‘third-way’ European metropolis.
– Jonathan contemporary art taken an ‘ethica when contemporary artists, theoreticians and the ethical as a justification or rationale or premise their work?
– Ils Huygens (BE) contemporary theories on haptic vision, sensation, a creative film-philosophical model will for analyzing emotional and sensational aspects of cinematic experience.
Please send this message to whoever you think will be interested. ___________
Jan van Eyck Academie
6211 KM Maastricht
e info at janvaneyck.nl
t +31 (0)43 350 37 37
f +31 (0)43 350 37 99
4. 3D"http://www.bbooks.de/jve/" 5. 3D"http://www.janvaneyck.nl/0_3_3_research_info/cornelis.html" 6. 3D"http://www.charlesnypels.nl/" 7. 3D"http://www.ubiscribe.net/"
More information about the Artinfo