[artinfo] Lance Fung joins Michael Hue Williams at Albion Gallery

Lance Fung lance.fung at mail.artistorganizedart.org
Fri Jun 3 16:03:29 CEST 2005

Contact: Lance.Fung at artistorganizedart.org
http://www.artistorganizedart.org

April 4, 2005

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

It is with great pleasure that I am officially closing Lance Fung
Gallery to join Michael Hue Williams at Albion Gallery in London.
Michael has offered me a unique opportunity to continue curating my
independent projects such as The Snow Show and Sink while working for
Albion as their in-house curator. A great deal of time and energy
will be devoted to creating exhibitions outside the gallery walls; at
the same time, within the gallery walls, I will assist Michael in
defining the vision and direction of both group and solo exhibitions
and in developing the gallery's stable of artists.

I look forward to continuing my relationship with the many emerging
and established artists I have had the pleasure to work with, and
hope to develop similar relationships with the artists associated
with the Albion Gallery (artists such as Tony Bevan, Simeran Gil,
Andy Goldsworthy, Jaume Plensa, Mark Di Suvero, James Turrell, Not
Vital, and Cai Guo Qiang, to name only a few). I can easily recall
the days of directing the Holly Solomon Gallery and the enjoyment
that I had in working in a premier gallery. The excitement of
constant interaction with the artists and museums, the ability to
exhibit new work directly from the artist's studio, and the desire to
discover new talent is truly thrilling. However, through working on
my own at the Lance Fung Gallery, I have realize how much I enjoy
curating a gallery's group exhibitions. This interest in curating
group shows has grown in scale, leading me to curate projects for
public institutions.

My heart lies in this curatorial direction and you, my friends who
truly know me, understand that in my personal and professional life I
always try to follow my heart. Now we will have the best of both
worlds in my new endeavor. Now, as of 2005, this opportunity will
allow me to further my investigations. Many of you know, my father
passed away just prior to the opening of The Snow Show, and my dear
friend and mentor, Emily Harvey, passed away one year later. These
events shifted the way I understand my work and my interests. It is
now the right time for me to take a large step forward.

Having said that, I look forward to seeing you in London. I am very
pleased that Albion has a passion similar to my own, combining a
focus on community, accessibility, and education with the
responsibilities of maintaining a commercial gallery. I will be
visiting New York frequently and will maintain my loft in SoHo. NYC
is still a home.

Please stay well and in touch.

All my best,

Lance