[artinfo] UC San Diego Call for Graduate Applications

Amy Alexander plagiari at plagiarist.org
Sun Dec 4 02:41:15 CET 2005

University of California, San Diego, Department of Visual Arts, is
currently accepting applications to its MFA and PhD programs in digital media.

Rated as one of the top graduate program in new media arts in the U.S., our
program is also among the largest, with eight full-time faculty. It is also
one of the oldest: we started teaching computer art in 1973. Today our
research interests and teaching cover the full range of areas in digital
arts, including net art, software and generative art, online and live
performance, distributed virtual worlds, computer games, net activism and
tactical media, critical engineering, media installation, digital cinema,
location based media. We also have a very strong commitment to theory and a
number of our faculty are known for their critical writing as well as their
art projects.

Since the new media track exists within the larger framework of the Visual
Arts Department with its thirty full-time faculty, graduate students
benefit from access to top studio artists, media artists, art and media
historians teaching in the same department. We have close relationships
with a number of faculty in the Music department working on computer music,
as well as top artists and critics teaching in other new media programs in
Southern California. The additional unique resources available on campus to
support faculty and student research include CRCA (Center for Research in
Computing and the Arts) and CAL-IT(2) (California Institute for
Telecommunication and Information Technology). CAL-IT(2)'s new building,
which opens in the Spring of 2005, features one of the best set of research
labs and technical resources for digital arts work anywhere in the world,
as well as a gallery, screening rooms, and studios for visiting artists and
graduate students and faculty.

Further information and application procedures are available from:
http://visarts.ucsd.edu

-----

UCSD Visual Arts Computing Faculty
Amy Alexander          Adriene Jenik
Sheldon Brown          Natalie Jerimijenko
Jordan Crandall        Lev Manovich
Ricardo Dominguez      Brett Stalbaum