[artinfo] nextlab workshop + lecture by usman haque

tamas szakal tszakal at contour.net
Tue Apr 26 15:12:12 CEST 2005

The next two events in the workshop series at Nextlab:

-> Digital signal processing and sensor analysis using Max/Msp/Jitter
April 27. 2005, 14-16h Kultiplex, 1092 Budapest, Kinizsi utca 28.

Workshop is held by: Tamas Szakal, media artist (Nextlab)
Special guest: Guy van Belle (BE), network streaming artist (mxHz.org)

Max/MSP is a graphical programming environment, in which you create your own
software using a visual toolkit of objects, and connect them together with
patch cords. The basic environment that includes control, user interface and
timing objects is called Max. Built on top of Max are hundreds of objects,
that do a variety of rad stuff, including Jitter.

Jitter is a set of video, matrix, and 3D graphics objects for the Max
graphical programming environment. Jitter is useful to anyone interested in
real-time video processing, custom effects, 2D/3D graphics, audio/visual
interaction, data visualization, and analysis.

The workshop is for anyone interested in using Max/MSP to create multimedia
programs for sculpture, installation, performance and technology art in
general. This is an introduction, no prior experience with MAX/MSP or
computer programming is required.

-> Lecture by Usman Haque (UK)
May 7 2005, 15-17h, Location will be announced soon.

http://www.haque.co.uk/

The domain of architecture has been transformed by developments in
interaction research, wearable computing, mobile connectivity,
people-centered design, contextual awareness, RFID systems and ubiquitous
computing. These technologies alter our understanding of space and change
the way we relate to each other. We no longer think of architecture as
static and immutable; instead we see it as dynamic, responsive and
conversant. Our projects explore some of this territory.

...Sky Ear is a non-rigid carbon-fibre "cloud", embedded with one thousand
glowing helium balloons and several dozen mobile phones. The balloons
contain miniature sensor circuits that respond to electromagnetic fields,
particularly those of mobile phones. When activated, the sensor circuits
co-ordinate to cause ultra-bright coloured LEDs to illuminate. The 30m cloud
glows and flickers brightly as it floats across the sky.

This lecture is organised by Nextlab

http://nextlab.hu/