[artinfo] [spectre] Final Call for Submissions: Subtle Technologies 2004

Jim Ruxton jim at subtletechnologies.com
Tue Jan 6 12:13:50 CET 2004

CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS:  Deadline January 11th 2004
Subtle Technologies Festival
May 27 - May 30 2004
University of Toronto, Toronto Canada

Subtle Technologies is currently inviting submissions for the symposium
component of its 7th annual festival.

Recognized internationally as a unique forum that encourages new
insights and collaborations between artists and scientists, Subtle
Technologies challenges physicists, geneticists, engineers,
mathematicians, astronomers, architects, dancers, media artists and
musicians to contemplate how art and science act upon one another and
reshape perspectives. Throughout four days of presentations, we aim to
cover a wide variety of subjects. People who have attended the festival
remark that
although the individual topics at the festival are extremely interesting
it is often the unexpected threads that are woven between the various
presentations
that make the festival a unique experience for presenters and audience members.

The programming of the symposium is shaped by the submissions of each
year and is meant to broaden the scope of disciplines or areas of
research for those who attend. In the past, topics addressed have
included quantum physics , quantum computing and other unconventional
computing technologies, music, dance, neurology, imaging technologies,
holography,animation, genetics, sonic explorations, sensing systems and
devices, social systems, complexity theory, and artificial intelligence.

We encourage demonstrations, and can accommodate / provide technical
support for almost any type of presentation.

All past presentations are archived on our website. We strongly urge
those interested in submitting a proposal to aquaint themselves with our
history of programming.

Criteria:
The festival is open to the public and presentations must be accessible
to a non-specialized audience.Each presentation must fill 40 minutes,
followed by a ten minute question and answer period.
It is strongly recommended that parties interested in submitting a
proposal visit our archives at http://www.subtletechnologies.com to get
better idea of our programming.
All presenters receive an honorarium and their festival registration
fees are waived.

Deadline for Proposals:  December 15, 2003.
PDF version of Call for Submissions:
http://www.subtletechnologies.com/news/index.html

How to Apply
Go to our website at:
http://www.subtletechnologies.com/submissions/index.html

If you have any questions please send an email to Jim Ruxton
programming at subtletechnologies.com

If you prefer, you can mail your proposals to:
Subtle Technologies Programming
1518 Queen Street West, Toronto ON
Canada, M6R 1A4