[artinfo] palya

Kiss-Pál Szabolcs kspal at aramszu.net
Sun Nov 30 09:27:36 CET 2003

Fado CALL FOR PROPOSALS: FIVE HOLES: LISTEN! (Toronto)
Deadline: January 16, 2004

CALL FOR PROPOSALS: FIVE HOLES: LISTEN!

FIVE HOLES is an ongoing series examining the
significance of the body and the senses. Fado
invites artists to submit proposals for LISTEN!,
the fourth installment in the series. We seek
site-specific performance art projects that focus
on the sense of hearing. Approximately seven
proposals will be selected for an event to be
held in the summer of 2004 in Toronto.

FIVE HOLES: LISTEN! will feature site-specific
performance art projects that focus on the act of
listening as a way to "place" oneself. This
implies a privileging of the audience's
experience -- how sound reveals the relationship
between one's body and its surroundings -- over
the performer's expressive use of sound.

In our culture, sound is most appreciated for its
expressivity. Disciplines rooted in sound  --
music and spoken language -- place an enormous
focus on this particular quality, developing and
presenting structures that explore or exploit
sound's emotive and expressive nature. But sound
as a sense also allows us to place ourselves in
an environment. Many animals use sonar, for
example, as a positioning mechanism. Inner ear
problems can lead not only to hearing loss, but
also to vertigo.

Bearing in mind that the FIVE HOLES series
focuses on the nature and importance of our
bodies (performer and audience) in performance
art, the title of this installment recognizes
"listening" as a loaded physical act. The term is
often used as a powerful metaphor for an active
process of seeking spiritual attunement, or for
taking stock of one's place in the world. Pauline
Oliveros writes, "Listening is noticing and
directing attention and interpreting what is
heard ... noticing and directing the interaction
and relationships of sounds and modes of
attention. We hear in order to listen. We listen
in order to interpret ourselves and our world and
to experience meaning." Curator Paul Couillard is
particularly interested in projects that take an
adventurous, innovative approach to the act of
listening.

Please include 1-page proposal, c.v., and
documentation of previous work [slides, NTSC
video, CD-ROMs, URLs, etc.]. Press material
optional. Only submissions with self-addressed
stamped envelope or sufficient funds to cover
shipping and packaging will be returned.

Deadline: January 16, 2004

Send proposals to:

Fado
273-B Carlton St.
Toronto, ON
Canada M5A 2L4
info at performanceart.ca

CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS: Centre d'art et de diffusion CLARK  (Montreal)
Deadline December  20, 2003; Source: Centre d'art et de diffusion CLARK
For further informations, please visit our web site http://www.clarkplaza.org
click ENGLISH then PROJECT SUBMISSION and TECHNICAL DATA
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS / Appel de dossiers: "DIS
/ LOCATION " DARE-DARE (Montreal)
Deadline January 16, 2004; Source: DARE-DARE
460, Sainte-Catherine Street West >Space 505<
Montréal (Québec) H3B 1A7  Canada
t:514.878.1088 daredar at cam.org
http://www.cam.org/~daredar>www.cam.org/~daredar
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS: LA CHAMBRE BLANCHE
Artist-in-Residence Programme (Quebec)
Deadline: February 27, 2004; Source: LA CHAMBRE BLANCHE

For Fall 2004 and Winter-Spring 2005

LA CHAMBRE BLANCHE is an artist-run centre
devoted to experimentation with installations and
in situ practices in visual arts. Its
artist-in-residence programme offers not only a
working and living space for artists, but also a
space in which to experiment with the creative
process. In our view a residency is an occasion
for an artist to question the nature of the
artistic process itself with regard to its
development and its reception. It is a laboratory
where artists are invited to work within the
space of the gallery itself or beyond its walls.

LA CHAMBRE BLANCHE is particularly interested in
work that, in the manner of works in progress,
use time as a medium. Submitted projects must
integrate installation and in situ practices.
During the residency, the selected artist will be
invited to create a unique and ephemeral piece,
in the context of a true in vivo laboratory. The
public will thus be invited to follow the
creative process of each residency project.

The centre offers

* an in situ residency of six weeks
* lodging at LA CHAMBRE BLANCHE
* $ 1750 (CAN) artist fees
* technical assistance
* half of the transportation cost
* acces to a woodworking shop and a computer lab
* an essay in LA CHAMBRE BLANCHE's publication.

The proposal must include

* a written description of the project proposed
* a resume (C.V.)
* an artist's statement
* a portfolio of the artist's work (slides, CD-ROMs, videos, etc.)
* a SASE to return documents, if desired.

Send your proposal to LA CHAMBRE BLANCHE before
February 27th, 2004 with the mention
"Artist-in-Residence Programme" to the following address :
185, rue Christophe-Colomb Est, Québec (Québec) G1K 3S6 CANADA
or by e-mail at info at chambreblanche.qc.ca
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS: LA CHAMBRE BLANCHE Web
Art Production Residencies (Quebec)
Deadline: February 27, 2004; Source: LA CHAMBRE BLANCHE

For August 2004 - June 2005

Web art production residencies proposed by LA
CHAMBRE BLANCHE since 2001 are open to visual
artists as well as media artists, with or without
web art experience.

Take over the internet

LA CHAMBRE BLANCHE is looking for projects that
explore web media possibilities, such as
interactivity, hypertext, sound experiment, image
treatment... Projects interested in developing
plastic applications of the web are also welcome.

We offer:

* six week access to a Mac-based computer lab
(G4) * technical assistance * $500 artist fees *
presentation of the final work on our website for
six months * lodging * an essay in our annual
publication.

Proposal may be submitted by mail or e-mail and must include:

* a written description of the proposed project *
a portfolio of the artist's work (slides,
CD-roms, video, URL, etc.) * an artist's
statement * a résumé (C.V.) * a SASE to return
documents, if desired.

LA CHAMBRE BLANCHE
185, rue Christophe-Colomb Est, Québec (Québec) G1K 3S6 CANADA
or by e-mail at info at chambreblanche.qc.ca