[artinfo] [spectre] Computing Culture Group / MIT -- call for applications

Chris Csikszentmihalyi csik at media.mit.edu
Mon Nov 3 12:18:19 CET 2003

The Computing Culture research Group is now accepting applications for
admission in the Fall of 2004.  CCG is an art/technology/activism research
group within the MIT Media Lab.  Recent projects have included [ the DJ I
Robot Sound System, Government Information Awareness, Critical
Cartographies, Doom Monitor, Haptic Opposition, and the Afghan Explorer
].  Researchers in the group have shown and presented work from Soho to
Singapore.  The group is accepting several students for the two-year,
funded Master of Science program.
Applicants from any nation may apply.

Computing Culture is based on the premise that artists can and should
invent technologies.  We are less interested in using recent technologies
for expression than in authoring new ones, ones that might be overlooked by
the market or the interests of science and engineering practice.  Our
research results in specific works of art, but also helps further an
understanding of the relationships between art, technology, and cultural
production.  Some of the strategies that we practice include interventions
in contemporary consumer electronics, creating special events for public
situations, and applying technical development to cultural agendas that
wouldn't normally receive it.
Our emphasis is on physically and spatially embodied (rather than
screen-based) projects, and work that engenders technology with significant
social agency.  Prospective applicants may be trained in either art,
humanities, science, or engineering, but should show crossover.  For
instance, an art or humanities student should ideally be an accomplished
programmer, have machining skills, and be able to design and fabricate
electronics.  An engineering student should have done several art projects,
worked with a professional artist, or shown their ability to author radical
or unexpected technologies.
Those without a combination of technical and critical skills need not apply.

Applications are due December 15th.  A portfolio of previous works is
required.  Information on how to apply may be found at
http://www.media.mit.edu/mas/apply.html.  More information about the group
may be found at our somewhat pathetic web site, http://compcult.media.mit.edu/.

Please forgive us if you have received any cross-postings.

--
Christopher P. Csikszentmihályi
Director, Computing Culture Group

Assistant Professor of Media Arts and Sciences
MIT Media Lab
csik at media.mit.edu
www.media.mit.edu/~csik