[artinfo] Total Recall

CESTA cesta at mbox.vol.cz
Fri Aug 8 10:35:20 CEST 2003

PRESS RELEASE

Total Recall
CESTA’s 9th Arts Festival of International, Interdisciplinary
Collaborations
August 2003

Final Festival Presentations: 	August 22-24
	 Festival program to come
See below for final festival collaboration groups
Please see our website for more information

Meet the Artists - presentations of participants’ past
work:	August 10-18
All presentations at CESTA unless otherwise noted
Entrance free

Sunday, August 10- 20,00
Birgit Helene Scheib (Austria)-video
Madeline Puckette (USA)-live electronic music

Monday, August 11-	 20,00
Carolina Hellsgard (Sweden)-film
Elisabeth Moll (Germany)-video and images
Nicholas Manger (Ireland)-	slide presentation

Wednesday, August 13- 20,00
Sonja Lebos (Croatia)
Dominic Gagnon (Canada)-video/music & jam session

Thursday, August 14- 20,00
CZAK	(Romania)
UEH (France)-live concert

Friday, August 15- 18,00
*** Annual artist exchange at FCCA/Jeleni 9 residency
center, Prague
Clare Charnley (UK)-video/slides
Tara Flandreau (USA)-live concert –viola & contrabass
(with George Cremaschi)
plus Jeleni 9 resident artists and the anniversary of Radio
Jeleni

Saturday, August 16- 20,00
Casey Basichis (USA)-video
Beth Lisick & Eli Crews (USA)-storytelling/ livemusic

Sunday, August 17-17,00
Tracy Lisk (USA)-paintings
Tomoko Kodaka (Japan)-books and paintings
Anuca Romanta Ion (Romania)

Monday, August 18-	20,00
Matt Warren (Australia)-video
Eleanor Dubinsky (USA)-performance
Sue Hajdu (Australia)-discussion with images
Dinh Q.Le (Vietnam)-discussion with images

The following collaboration groups are working on multi-
disciplinary presentations for Total Recall:

Anuca Romanta Ion visual art
Romania
Birgit Helene Scheib performance/video
Austria
UEH (Stéphane Mounica, Audrey Ginestet, Benjamin
Glibert, Rémi Loridan, Frédéric Jean) music
France

Sue Hajdu installation
Australia
Dinh Q.Le mixed media
Vietnam

Karl Tuikkanen performance art
Sweden
Christian de Vietri conceptual art
Australia

Beth Lisick & Eli Crews writing/storytelling/music
USA
Matt Warren video art
Australia

CZAK (Angela Kallo, Arpad Koncz, Corina Llles, Zacsek
Irsai) mixed media
Romania
Eleanor Dubinsky performance art
USA

Cute Theory (Madeline Puckette, Casey Basichis) music
USA
Carolina Hellsgard film
Sweden

Clare Charnley performance art
UK
Elisabeth Moll theater
Germany

Dominic Gagnon video/sound
Canada
Sonja Lebos photography/mixed media
Croatia
Tracy Lisk installation
USA
Mike Richard music/critical theory
USA

Tara Flandreau music
USA
Tomoko Kodaka painting
Japan
Nicholas Manger land art
Ireland

Festival Statement
History or story. True or False.
Manufactured, manipulated, mutated, borrowed, stolen,
masked, censored, altered.
Empowering, enlightening, protecting, owned, revealing,
conclusive, safe.
Remembered or Forgotten?
Are those who forget the past condemned to repeat it?
Do we ‘endure the burden of the past’1 with ‘the charitable
deceptions of nostalgia’2?

We access memory and replicate it in different ways. The
ways that we choose to represent what we remember or
forget, consciously or subconsciously, have broad collective
as well as personal ramifications. Through monuments and
architecture, rituals and religion, oral traditions and
legends, even diaries and psychoanalysis, we witness
remembering and forgetting defined.

1, 2 Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Love in the Time of Cholera
p.106

For Total Recall, we have invited applicants to address
memory, ours and Ours, to investigate how we represent
and interpret it.

CESTA's festival themes and parameters of cross-national
interdisciplinary collaborations represent the center's
commitment to improving communication through creative
expression. We base our selection of artists on a review of
applications resulting from our annual open call. Applicants
have requested CESTA to connect them with collaboration
partners or have applied as a pre-formed collaboration
group. For Total Recall all final festival collaboration groups
must be:

1) Cross-national: more than one nationality
2) Interdisciplinary: more than one artistic medium
3) Collaborative: conceptualizing and creating
interdependent artistic work
4) work created exclusively for Total Recall
5) artists with experience in artistic collaboration

--
CESTA
Novakova 387, Tabor 39001, Czech Republic
email: cesta at mbox.vol.cz
http://www.cesta.cz