[artinfo] dictionary of imaginary places (fwd)

C3 Information info@c3.hu
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 12:16:33 +0100

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 14:13:01 +0100
From: galerija.skuc <galerija.skuc@guest.arnes.si>
To: <Undisclosed Recipients@guest.arnes.si>
Subject: dictionary of imaginary places

Press Release
Vadim Fishkin & Guia Rigvava

dictionary of imaginary places

Skuc Gallery, 3 February - 8 March 2002

Opening: 2 February at 20 p.m.

The exhibition dictionary of imaginary places relates two prominent and cor=
responding artistic positions showing recent and newly produced works of Va=
dim Fishkin and Guia Rigvava.

Two major works by Vadim Fiskin Snow-Show (2000) and Kaplegraf (2001) are p=
resented here together for the first time. In the installation Snow-Show th=
e "visitor" is invited to press a button and state his name. Soon after a c=
omputer-generated voice announces a personalised dedication to him: "this i=
s dedicated to ...(name of visitor)." Then a special light switches on, mus=
ic begins to play, and artificial snow starts falling slowly. The naming pr=
ocess makes a dream come true, or in Fi=B9kin's words: "If you want somethi=
ng you have to name it." Kaplegraf on the other hand is a device that can t=
ranslate data originating from various sources into "water drop" language. =
In the case of this exhibition the particular source is the noise of Guia R=
igvava's work We are Friends (2001), an installation that consists of a vid=
eo displayed on monitor and different coloured balloon rubber pieces stretc=
hed with garters on the wall. On the monitor appears the strained face of t=
he artist with a balloon being blown up close to his head. "It's a funny, h=
umorous piece, and still can be looked at as a critical inquiry" - says Gui=
a Rigvava - "an inquiry into our communication/relations, in which we as in=
dividuals are engaged." His other installation is composed of 7 video works=
 made between 1998 and 2001. Screened behind a projection wall they depict =
seven "small" stories resembling "corollaries of free floating thoughts app=
earing totally uncontrolled in our minds at times of our (nowadays) ever st=
rained leisure - in a space were we tend to get in a role of 'intellectual =
heroes'."

The exhibition, that also includes smaller analogous pieces by the artists,=
 is both a search for revealing one's desire for and a sensitive experiment=
 of the imaginary.

Vadim Fishkin is an internationally renowned artist based in Ljubljana. He =
participated at Manifesta 1 in Rotterdam (1996), at the Venice Biennial in =
1995 (Russian Pavilion) and recently at the 1st International Biennial of V=
alencia (together with Bob Wilson). During the last few years his work was =
shown in two solo exhibitions in Ljubljana, at Mala gallery (Moderna galeri=
ja Ljubljana) in 1996 and at Kapelica Gallery in 1998. In 1999 he initiated=
 the group show ...incommensurabilis... at Skuc Gallery, where besides his =
piece works of Olafur Eliasson, Marko Peljhan and Eulalia Valldosera were s=
hown.

Giua Rigvava is an internationally working artist currently based in Munich=
=2E He participated in It's a better world. Aktuelle Kunst aus Moskau at th=
e Vienna Secession in 1997 and in the L'Autre Moiti=E9 de L'Europe exhibiti=
on at the Galerie Nationale de Jeu de Paume in Paris in 2000 among others. =
In the first half of the Nineties both he and Vadim Fiskin were very active=
ly involved in the Moscow art scene. They took part in the process oriented=
 Hamburg project exhibition at the Moscow Centre for Contemporary Art in 19=
94 curated by Viktor Misano and in the Kr=E4ftemessen exhibition in K=FCnst=
lerwerkstatt Lothringerstrasse in Munich in 1995.

You are kindly invited!

For further information please contact Gregor Podnar, the curator of the sh=
ow, or Alenka Gregoric, phone/fax: +386 1 42 13 140 and see the gallery's h=
ome page.

DUM Association - Ljubljana is co-producer of the dictionary of imaginary p=
laces exhibition.

The project is supported by: Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Sloveni=
a, City of Ljubljana - Department of Culture, PCX computers, Repro Ljubljan=
a d.o.o.

www.galerija.skuc-drustvo.si