[artinfo] (fwd) digital commons

Janos Sugar sj@c3.hu
Sat, 19 Jan 2002 22:35:36 +0100

Version>02
April 18-20

Calling all artists, designers, activists, multimedia producers, information
architects, tactical media agents, programmers, musicians, filmmakers,
concerned citizens and critical thinkers: This is a call for a gathering of
the digital commons, and we want to hear from you!

We are interested in your ideas, projects, sounds, films, papers and
proposals concerning the future of the digital commons, and invite you to
share them with us during our three-day convergence.

The term /digital commons/ is derived from the Common Law movement in
England in the 1600s. The movement called for the protection of shared
public spaces - the "commons" - its tools and resources. Often, larger,
private interests overran the commons, and this failure of the
communities to maintain their public resources is known in the discourse as
"the tragedy of the commons".

This April 18-20, 2002, the Museum of Contemporary Art  in Chicago will host
Version>02, a digital arts and technology convergence. To initiate the first
iteration of this event, we are asking you to consider how the maintenance
of this digital commons necessitates a dialogue about intellectual property,
the balance between civil liberties and security, freedom of speech and
privacy, and the implications of free or limited access to tools and
information. We ask you to share your vision of this space, it1s present and
future.

Version>02 is an exploration of our digital commons and an opportunity to
meet those who tend to its gardens, fences, and pathways. It is an
investigation into maintaining, expanding and designing the commons, while
ensuring the continuation of shared resources and information in all facets
of communications.

This April, Version>02, the Museum of Contemporary Art in Chicago and
participating area galleries will provide a forum for artists, performers,
and critical thinkers. For three days and three nights, this digital arts
and technology will feature performances, film screenings, web
installations, and demonstrations from active minds of the emergent culture.

Interested? Send your questions and submissions to:
Submissions@select-media.com