[artinfo] Vancouver Videopoem Festival call for submissions

Andrea Szekeres asz@c3.hu
Tue, 20 Mar 2001 14:44:55 +0100

Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 08:29:24 -0800
From: Heather Haley <hshaley@emspace.com>
Subject: Vancouver Videopoem Festival call for submissions

CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS

3rd ANNUAL

V A N C O U V E R   V I D E O P O E M   F E S T I V A L

The Edgewise ElectroLit Centre is seeking videopoem submissions for the=20
Vancouver
Videopoem Festival-the only screening event of its kind in Canada. Get=
 public
exposure and have your work screened in a premier public venue-Pacific
Cin=E9matheque, November 8-11, 2001. We are interested in any original,=
 creative
combination of poetry with material on videotape. Cinepoems are also=20
acceptable
provided they are transferred onto videotape format.

This event provides a much needed venue for the presentation of  work in=
 this
burgeoning art form. The most innovative treatments are explored and=20
presented.
The selection of works is a broad range of mostly Canadian artists, a=
 smaller
amount of international artists and a diversity of poetic styles and video
strategies. The EEC aims to develop a forum for defining, legitimizing and
nuturing work in this hybrid genre and the artists who produce it in=20
Canada. The
festival components include SEE THE VOICE-a Poetry Video Workshop, two or=20
three
screenings, an awards gala and a night of performance-STAGED & SCREENED,=
 Mixed
Media Cabaret-wherein poets interact with their videopoems by incorporatiing
elements of dance, theatre and music.

DEADLINE: June 1, 2001

To obtain an official VVF 2001 Submission Application Form, contact=
 Executive
Director, Heather Haley @ (604) 535-8588 or visit our web site:
http://www.edgewisecafe.org

If accepted into the Vancouver Videopoem Festival, all successful entrants=
=20
will
receive a screening fee and be eligible for VVF 2001 awards. The giving of
awards is intended to recognize outstanding merit and to offer the public=
 and
artists a developing standard for vidopoetry in these categories:

-Best Videopoem  The Edgewise Award
-Best Direction  The Vision Award
-Best Performance  The Voice Award
-People's Choice  The Cin=E9math=E8que Award

-The Edgewise ElectroLit Centre is a non-profit arts organization whose=20
mandate
is to make poetry accessible to all members of society through a variety of
media and educational programs.

-Digitized videopoems can be viewed in the Multimedia section of the=
 Edgewise
site.

-Funding for the Vancouver Videopoem Festival has been received from the=20
Canada
Council for the Arts and is produced in partnership with Pacific=
 Cin=E9math=E8que

Heather Haley-Executive Director
Edgewise ElectroLit Centre
The EEC is a non-profit organization
whose mandate is to make poetry accessible
to all members of society through
a variety of new media
and educational programs.
www.edgewisecafe.org