[artinfo] re: CESTA's eight international arts festival announcement

cesta cesta@mbox.vol.cz
Thu, 27 Dec 2001 18:18:38 +0100

--=====================_13283720==_.ALT

Please forward to or post for anyone you feel may be interested in  this.=20
If you have received this message in error, or do not wish to  receive=20
CESTA's general broadcasts, please reply to  cesta@mbox.vol.cz with=20
"Remove" in the subject line.

VIOLENS

CESTA=92s eighth international arts festival of interdisciplinary=
 collaborations

August 22 through August 26, 2002
CESTA (Cultural Exchange Station in T=E1bor), Czech republic

Art and violence both seem to stem from the abstract: that place beyond=20
logic, the realm of the emotion. When they intersect we are simultaneously=
=20
repelled and attracted, frightened and excited. Historically this meeting=20
has been wrought with complexity, and as cultural violence in every society=
=20
increases, we are prevented by paranoia, censorship and ethical demands=20
from asking, and sometimes even posing, some of the most important=20
questions violence and art together and separately produce: how is violence=
=20
represented, and what or how much of it do we need to resist the=20
cultivation of fear and the encouragement of dependency? Is violence a=20
tool, a process or a result? When are artistic portrayals of violence=20
justifiable? As intellectual exercise, ritual, or spiritual enhancement?=20
For other purposes? Or are they never justifiable? Is violence in art an=20
action, reaction, or reflection?

For VIOLENS we are informed by, but not limited to, defining art as social=
=20
discourse and violence as the display of power and the expression of=20
dominance. CESTA invites artists from all disciplines to explore through=20
collaboration violent portrayals, acts or themes towards critical analyses=
=20
of their origins, impact and meaning.

CESTA's festival themes and parameters of cross-national interdisciplinary=
=20
collaborations represent the center's commitment to improving communication=
=20
through creative expression. We base our selection of artists on a review=20
of applications resulting from our annual open call. Applicants request=20
CESTA to connect them with collaboration partners or apply as a pre-formed=
=20
collaboration group. For VIOLENS all final festival collaboration groups=20
must contain:

1) more than one artistic medium
2) more than one nationality
3) work created exclusively for VIOLENS
4) artists with experience in artistic collaboration

Festival Application Deadline: February 15, 2002

For an Open Call Application Form or more information, please contact us at:

CESTA

Nov=E1kova 387

39001 T=E1bor, Czech Republic

tel/fax: +420-361-258004

cesta@mbox.vol.cz       www.cesta.cz

CESTA Novakova 387, Tabor 39001, Czech Republic tel: +420-361-258-004=20
email: cesta@mbox.vol.cz <http://www.cesta.cz>http://www.cesta.cz

--=====================_13283720==_.ALT

Please forward to or post for anyone you feel may be interested in&nbsp;
this. If you have received this message in error, or do not wish to&nbsp;
receive CESTA's general broadcasts, please reply to&nbsp;
&quot;Remove&quot; in the subject line. <br><br>
rts
festival of interdisciplinary collaborations <br><br>
<b>August 22 through August 26, 2002 <br>
CESTA (Cultural Exchange Station in T=E1bor), Czech republic <br><br>
</b>Art and violence both seem to stem from the abstract: that place
beyond logic, the realm of the emotion. When they intersect we are
simultaneously repelled and attracted, frightened and excited.
Historically this meeting has been wrought with complexity, and as
cultural violence in every society increases, we are prevented by
paranoia, censorship and ethical demands from asking, and sometimes even
posing, some of the most important questions violence and art together
and separately produce: how is violence represented, and what or how much
of it do we need to resist the cultivation of fear and the encouragement
of dependency? Is violence a tool, a process or a result? When are
artistic portrayals of violence justifiable? As intellectual exercise,
ritual, or spiritual enhancement? For other purposes? Or are they never
justifiable? Is violence in art an action, reaction, or reflection?
For <b>VIOLENS </b>we are informed by, but not limited to, defining art
as social discourse and violence as the display of power and the
expression of dominance. CESTA invites artists from all disciplines to
explore through collaboration violent portrayals, acts or themes towards
critical analyses of their origins, impact and meaning. <br><br>
CESTA's festival themes and parameters of cross-national
interdisciplinary collaborations represent the center's commitment to
improving communication through creative expression. We base our
selection of artists on a review of applications resulting from our
annual open call. Applicants request CESTA to connect them with
collaboration partners or apply as a pre-formed collaboration group. For
<b>VIOLENS </b>all final festival collaboration groups must contain:
1) more than one artistic medium <br>
2) more than one nationality <br>
4) artists with experience in artistic collaboration <br><br>
</b>For an Open Call Application Form or more information, please contact
us at: <br><br>
Nov=E1kova 387<br><br>
39001 T=E1bor, Czech Republic<br><br>
tel/fax: +420-361-258004<br><br>
cesta@mbox.vol.cz<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab><a=
</b></div>
CESTA Novakova 387, Tabor 39001, Czech Republic tel: +420-361-258-004
email: cesta@mbox.vol.cz