[artinfo] Fwd: Bruce Checefsky presents Franciszka and Stefan Themerson

Szombathy Balint artlover@c3.hu
Mon, 03 Dec 2001 19:08:41 +0100

--=====================_3952301==_.ALT

>>Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2001 09:08:58 +0100
>>To: melyi@c3.hu
>>From: "Laszlo L.Revesz" <raveace@mail.c3.hu>

>> Location One and Polish Cultural Institute are pleased to announce
>> Bruce Checefsky's presentation of the
>> groundbreaking work of experimenal filmmakers Franciszka and Stefan
>> Themerson. Perhaps the most influential of
>> Polish cutting-edge artists, the Themersons produced five short
>> films between 1930 and 1937 in Warsaw
>> that rank among the greatest of European avant-garde: Pharmacy,
>> Europa, Moment Musical, Short Circuit and The
>> Adventure of a Good Citizen. Whereas only the last three films
>> survived the war, a remake of Pharmacy (1930, b/w,
>> silent, 3 minutes) was produced in Budapest in 2001 under the
>> direction of award winning animator and film writer
>> Laszlo L. Revesz and Bruce Checefsky<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns =
>> "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />.

December 4, 2001 7 PM

>> Location One
>>
>> 26 Greene Street NYC 10013, Between
>> Grand and Canal
>>
>> Subway: Canal Street (N, R, 6, A,
>> C, E, J, M, Z)
>>
>> Gallery Hours: Tuesday -
>> Saturday, 12 - 6 PM
>>
>> (212) 334-3347
>>
>> Streamed live at
>> www.location1.org
>>
>> Bruce Checefsky will present a short contextual history of
>> the photogram as it relates to the Themersons
>> and show slides of his work followed by a screening of
>> Pharmacy (2001, b/w, silent, trt 4:40 minutes). Checefsky
>> explains: "Our remake of Pharmacy is not a reconstruction of
>> the original but an interpretation
>> based on surviving documents, film stills, and notes. I
>> wanted to remake Pharmacy because it was
>> an extremely important film".. Bruce Checefsky is an
>> artist/photographer based in Cleveland. He is director of
>> the Reinberger Galleries, Cleveland Institute of Art |
>> and has organized and curated numerous exhibitions. His own
>> works have been presented in solo exhibitions in numerous
>> countries such as Czech Republic, Germany, Hungary, Japan,
>> The Netherlands, Poland, Ukraine.
>> The event is organized jointly by Location One and the
>> Polish Cultural Institute.
>>
>> Location One (www.location1.org) is a new not-for profit art
>> center, which fosters the convergence of all types of
>> creative expression.We maintain a gallery space suitable for every
>> form of performance and exhibition, and within
>> this space,multimedia net-broadcasting facilities that allow us to
>> web cast a 24-hour stream of both live and
>> archived events. Our International Residency Program invites
>> artists from other countries to experiment with
>> emerging technologies. Location One is an exploration space for
>> continual creative discovery.
>>
>> The Polish Cultural Institute was established as a diplomatic
>> mission of Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the
>> Republic of Poland to the United States. The New York-based
>> Institute is dedicated to promoting and nurturing
>> cultural ties between the United States and Poland, both through
>> American exposure to Poland's cultural
>> achievements, and through exposure of Polish scholars and artists
>> to American trends, institutions, and
>> professional counterparts.
>>
>> More about the Institute at:
>> www.PolishCulture-NYC.org

--=====================_3952301==_.ALT

&gt;---------- Forwarded message ----------<br>
&gt;&gt;Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2001 09:08:58 +0100<br>
&gt;&gt;To: melyi@c3.hu<br>
&gt;&gt;From: &quot;Laszlo L.Revesz&quot;
&lt;raveace@mail.c3.hu&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; Location One and Polish Cultural Institute are pleased to
announce <br>
&gt;&gt; Bruce Checefsky's presentation of the <br>
&gt;&gt; groundbreaking work of experimenal filmmakers Franciszka and
Stefan <br>
&gt;&gt; Themerson. Perhaps the most influential of <br>
&gt;&gt; Polish cutting-edge artists, the Themersons produced five short
&gt;&gt; films between 1930 and 1937 in Warsaw <br>
&gt;&gt; that rank among the greatest of European avant-garde: Pharmacy,
&gt;&gt; Europa, Moment Musical, Short Circuit and The <br>
&gt;&gt; Adventure of a Good Citizen. Whereas only the last three films
&gt;&gt; survived the war, a remake of Pharmacy (1930, b/w, <br>
&gt;&gt; silent, 3 minutes) was produced in Budapest in 2001 under the
&gt;&gt; direction of award winning animator and film writer <br>
&gt;&gt; Laszlo L. Revesz and Bruce Checefsky&lt;?xml:namespace prefix =
o ns = <br>
&gt;&gt; &quot;urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office&quot; /&gt;.
December 4, 2001 7 PM<br>
&gt;&gt; Location One <br>
&gt;&gt; <br>
&gt;&gt; 26 Greene Street NYC 10013, Between <br>
&gt;&gt; Grand and Canal <br>
&gt;&gt; <br>
&gt;&gt; Subway: Canal Street (N, R, 6, A, <br>
&gt;&gt; C, E, J, M, Z) <br>
&gt;&gt; <br>
&gt;&gt; Gallery Hours: Tuesday - <br>
&gt;&gt; Saturday, 12 - 6 PM <br>
&gt;&gt; <br>
&gt;&gt; (212) 334-3347 <br>
&gt;&gt; <br>
&gt;&gt; Streamed live at <br>
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; <br>
&gt;&gt; Bruce Checefsky will present a short contextual history of <br>
&gt;&gt; the photogram as it relates to the Themersons <br>
&gt;&gt; and show slides of his work followed by a screening of <br>
&gt;&gt; Pharmacy (2001, b/w, silent, trt 4:40 minutes). Checefsky <br>
&gt;&gt; explains: &quot;Our remake of Pharmacy is not a reconstruction of <br>
&gt;&gt; the original but an interpretation <br>
&gt;&gt; based on surviving documents, film stills, and notes. I <br>
&gt;&gt; wanted to remake Pharmacy because it was <br>
&gt;&gt; an extremely important film&quot;.. Bruce Checefsky is an <br>
&gt;&gt; artist/photographer based in Cleveland. He is director of <br>
&gt;&gt; the Reinberger Galleries, Cleveland Institute of Art | <br>
&gt;&gt; and has organized and curated numerous exhibitions. His own <br>
&gt;&gt; works have been presented in solo exhibitions in numerous <br>
&gt;&gt; countries such as Czech Republic, Germany, Hungary, Japan, <br>
&gt;&gt; The Netherlands, Poland, Ukraine. <br>
&gt;&gt; The event is organized jointly by Location One and the <br>
&gt;&gt; Polish Cultural Institute. <br>
&gt;&gt; <br>
&gt;&gt; center, which fosters the convergence of all types of <br>
&gt;&gt; creative expression.We maintain a gallery space suitable for every <br>
&gt;&gt; form of performance and exhibition, and within <br>
&gt;&gt; this space,multimedia net-broadcasting facilities that allow us to <br>
&gt;&gt; web cast a 24-hour stream of both live and <br>
&gt;&gt; archived events. Our International Residency Program invites <br>
&gt;&gt; artists from other countries to experiment with <br>
&gt;&gt; emerging technologies. Location One is an exploration space for <br>
&gt;&gt; continual creative discovery. <br>
&gt;&gt; <br>
&gt;&gt; The Polish Cultural Institute was established as a diplomatic <br>
&gt;&gt; mission of Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the <br>
&gt;&gt; Republic of Poland to the United States. The New York-based <br>
&gt;&gt; Institute is dedicated to promoting and nurturing <br>
&gt;&gt; cultural ties between the United States and Poland, both through <br>
&gt;&gt; American exposure to Poland's cultural <br>
&gt;&gt; achievements, and through exposure of Polish scholars and artists <br>
&gt;&gt; to American trends, institutions, and <br>
&gt;&gt; professional counterparts. <br>
&gt;&gt; <br>
&gt;&gt; More about the Institute at: <br>